on February 8, 2013 - 8:07pm
A blustry snowstorm packed a punch in New York City on Friday, but so did Jason Wu's Fall 2013 RTW collection. It's clearly evident that the designer perfectly understands his clientele-- the elegant modern woman. This collection delivers exactly what she wants, power dressing with a touch of femininity. Wu himself said the collection was one of, "extreme femininity". Lovely lace on jackets and snake embossed mini-dresses proved that point almost exclusively.
Diving further into his collection for fall, the designs accentuated two parts of the woman's physique, shoulders and legs. Belted fur jackets featuring exaggerated shoulders along with soft sleeveless, halter silhouettes were nothing less than sharp and attention grabbing.
Sleek tailored pants and flouncy pleated skirts mixed with tough yet feminine biker jackets creating sexy fluid ensembles.
Wu also had a bit of fun with this collection using feather plumes, pepulm and polka dots on dresses and tops.
The one thing I could not help but wonder... was Wu inspired by Raf Simmons Dior collections? For the evening gown looks, the American designer showcased flowing sheer designs. One gown in particular was very reminiscent of the black Dior Haute Couture dress Charlize Theron wore to the London premiere of Snow White and the Huntsman last May. Another nod to the Parisian design house was the flowing silk georgette dresses paired with cigarette pants. These two designs left me with a few thoughts-- Has Wu has been bitten by the Haute Couture bug? If yes, is a collection on the horizon?
Ensembles were styled with leather gloves, lace up, open-toe booties, cut-out heels and box clutches. The bottom line is that this collection was completely in Wu's wheelhouse. He created a strong glam collection where downtown cool meets uptown sophistication.
The Wrap Up:
- Trend Forecast: Leather, fur, sheer details, peplum, polka dots and pleats.
- Colors: Black, white, red and blue.
- Must Have Piece: The gorgeous red belted coat with an asymmetrical zipper.
- Front Row Access: Jaime King, Allison Williams and Stephanie Seymour.
- Celebs who I think will be wearing this collection: If the gowns are a little less sheer, I am sure Michelle Obama will pick one or two for important events. Diane Kruger, Kate Mara, Jessica Pare, Camilla Belle, Kerry Washington, Zoe Saldana and Jessica Chastain. I'd love to see Lucy Hale, AnnaSophia Robb and Sarah Hyland try some of the youthful and fun looks.
View more photos from this collection on my NYC Fashion Week Fall 2013 Pinterest board.
~Christy Pastore @christypastore
Image Source: Style.com