on September 7, 2013 - 1:10pm
Jason Wu lightened up for his Spring 2014 collection giving a nod to the nineties (the good part of the decade) with slinky, sexy and seductive lingerie inspired pieces. The theme behind the line was, "A dialogue between construction and ease." What better way to set the tone than by having legendary supermodel, Karen Elson open the show wearing a shimmering halter-neck, bias cut gold slip dress. Visions of Kate Moss circa 1990 and Gwyneth Paltrow wearing that body-clinging white Calvin Klein dress to the 1996 Oscars flashed in my head.
The color palette was made up mostly of neutral hues, including soft beige, blush pink and ecru. However, it wouldn't be Wu without throwing in some classic black and white and of course that famous "Wu Blue" or as it is more commonly known --navy.
Quite the opposite of his previous two collections, the looks were less strong and quite delicate this time, but no less powerful. Less form-fitting and more relaxed, Wu featured slightly over-sized sweaters, airy skirts and pants that were slouchy, but not baggy. He traded in tough leather harnesses for spaghetti straps, while swapping leather collars on dresses and blouses for easy scoop-necks. Lacing replaced Wu's seemingly favorite design aesthetic, lace.
Perhaps the most inviting part of the collection were the silk and suede safari style suits featuring flap pockets and snaps. Wouldn't these sporty inspired pieces make great weekender looks?
The show stunner was Karlie Kloss sauntering down the runway in the glamorous tank-style, mermaid silhouette gown. That dress will make a red carpet debut for sure, Jennifer Lawrence I am looking at you. I don't think you'll be seeing Wu's most famous client, Michelle Obama sporting any of these languid pieces.
The Wrap Up:
- Trend Forecast: Slip-dresses, Boxy jackets, Ankle-wrapped flat sandals and Over-sized bags.
- Colors: Soft beige, Pale Sage, Ecru, Gold, Navy, Gold, Blush, Black and White.
- Must Have Piece: The gold scoop neck, glittering tank paired with the pencil skirt as seen on Hilary Rhoda.
- Front Row Access: Maria Sharapova, Emily Mortimer, Jessica Paré and Alicia Keys.
- Celebs who I think will be wearing this collection: Diane Kruger, Jennifer Lawrence, Camilla Belle, Charlize Theron, Kerry Washington, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Zoe Saldana.
~Christy Pastore @christypastore
Image Source: Style.com